Perception can miss a reality because of darkness, blindness, distraction, hiddenness, or remoteness.
- Darkness is obsurement due to absence of medium. Absence of light makes dark. A vacuum makes silent.
- Blindness is a failure of reception. Failure of sight is blindness. Failure of hearing is deafness.
- Distraction is a failure of attention. The eye is stimulated but vision doesn’t see. The ear is stimulated, but hearing doesn’t hear.
- Hiddenness is a concealment of a reality by other realities. An object is hidden behind another object. A sound is masked by noise.
- Remoteness is a vanishing in distance. A faraway object is too tiny to see. A faraway sound is too faint to hear.
Understanding can also miss a reality because of darkness, blindness, distraction, obscurity, or remoteness.
- Darkness is an absence of medium — ignorance — lacking language or concepts needed to comprehend.
- Blindness is a failure of reception — stupidity — mental weakness.
- Distraction is a failure of attention — inattention — non-detection of patterns and connections.
- Hiddenness is a concealment of realities by other realities — confusion –interference between unconnected concepts and confusion of categories.
- Remoteness is a concealment by distance — incuriosity — failure to see relevance.